Behaviour, Attendance & Special Educational Needs
At TLG we regularly work with young people who have particular educational, social, emotional and behavioural needs, including those for whom English is a second language.
- Our staff teams are trained to work with pupils with a variety of of learning needs and to differentiate work accurately and effectively, based on strong initial and ongoing assessment.
- Our small groups and high staff-pupil ratios provide a setting for nurturing to take place. This means that we can tailor the curriculum and level of support for each individual, allowing every student to make progress and achieve success.
- Our learning environment is structured with clear boundaries. TLG Centre rules and behaviour principles are set out in a ‘contract’ that all students sign prior to commencing a course. Young people identify and set targets in areas that cause issues for them and support is given to help them improve.
- Staff employ strategies that promote and reward positive behaviour, with sanctions for bad behaviour that are clear and consistent. Pupils learn that their choices carry consequences and in many cases they begin to modify their behaviour accordingly.
- Students are supervised at all times whilst at the Centre.
- Pupils are expected to attend all sessions (morning and afternoon) in their TLG programme, unless absence has been authorised.
- We believe that good attendance is a key to achievement and we work hard with our pupils and their families to overcome any barriers to good attendance.